A garage door is one of the most commonly-used doors at home. However, just like other types of doors, it can experience wear and tear over time. For example, when a garage door’s springs break, it will begin to fall on its own accord each time you open it. This makes using your garage impossible because you could damage the door, or hurt yourself trying to hold it up. Fortunately, if your garage door springs have broken and you don’t want to call a repairman just yet, there are some steps you can take to fix them.
Step 1: Go Underneath Your Garage Door
You may think that the only way to fix a broken garage door is to pull it off its track and call a repairman. However, this isn’t the case. You can fix it yourself by simply going underneath your garage door and adjusting the broken spring until it’s fixed. Here are some tips for doing so:
- a) Go Underneath Your Garage Door
The first thing you need to do when fixing your garage door is to go underneath it. This means that you’d need to remove whatever was blocking the door from closing completely, like a car or even toys that your kids left lying around. Then, use your jack to prop up the door so you can go underneath it.
- b) Measure the Distance of the Door
Once you’re underneath the door, measure the distance between the bottom of it and your floor. This will ensure that you’ll know how far up you should put your jack.
- c) Insert Your Jack
After measuring the correct distance, insert your jack into a place where it has no problem holding up the weight of the garage door. Make sure that the jack is sturdy enough to hold up the entire weight of the door – otherwise, your garage will fall on you.
- d) Raise or Lower Your Jack
After inserting your jack properly, raise it so that there is enough space for you to fit underneath the door. Then, attach a rope to its handle so that you can lower it safely.
- e) Open the Door and Fix the Spring
Now that you have enough space to work, open the door and fix the broken spring. This can be done by twisting it until it’s in the correct position. Once it is, use your pliers to tighten it in place.
- f) Close the Door and Secure It
After fixing the spring, close the garage door and secure it by tightening the screws on either side. Make sure that the door is stable before walking away.
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can also try to fix your garage door’s track. However, this is a more complicated process and should only be attempted if you have experience repairing garage door tracks. If not, it’s best to leave this task to a professional.
Also check: How to Fix a Garage Door Spring
Step 2: Lower the Jack and Remove It from Underneath the Door
After fixing your garage door spring, lower the jack and remove it from underneath your garage door. Also make sure that you place something heavy on top of your garage door. This is to ensure that the door doesn’t fall once you lower the jack, since it’s no longer being held up.
- You should never try fixing a garage door spring unless you are confident with using tools and fixing home equipment. Otherwise, get help from a professional.
- Make sure that the jack is sturdy enough to hold up the weight of the garage door before using it. If not, your garage will come crashing down on you.
- Always use caution when working underneath a garage door. There’s a risk of getting injured if the door falls on you.
- If you’re unsure about how to fix your garage door spring, it’s best to call a professional. This is a task that should only be attempted by those who have experience with it.
- Garage doors are heavy and can cause serious injury if they fall on you. Make sure that you’re careful when working on them.
Garage door springs aren’t the only thing that can go wrong with your garage door. If you’re having problems with opening or closing it, or if it’s making strange noises, then there may be something wrong with the track. In this case, you should call a professional to fix it for you. For professional services, feel free to message Little Rock Garage Door Repair.
However, if you’re feeling adventurous, you can try to fix your garage door’s track yourself. This is a complicated and lengthy process that will require you to be patient and use tools properly. If you’re not experienced with repairing garage door tracks, it’s best to leave this task to a professional!